File Associations in Vista and win XP

Author: mety Labels::

In win XP

1. Open Explorer ( right-click the Start button and select Explore ) and head to a file you would like to either associate with another program or get associated with a program for the first time.

2. Once you get to the file, hold down your SHIFT key and right-click it. You will be presented with a menu that gives you an option to Open With... . Select that.

Oh, if you're using XP or Vista, you may not even need to hold down the shift key to get this to work. Both operating systems usually give you an Open with item on the right-click menu with a sub-menu full of options. If you want to change the association, you'll need to select the Choose Program option.

XP Open With picture:

image

Note - in the sample pictures, we'll re-associate a JPEG with Photoshop - it was original associated with Internet Explorer. So, in the photo below I hold the SHIFT key down and right-click a JPG file.

image

3. This will open up a screen where you can tell Windows what program to open that particular file with. Choose the program and make sure the little " Always use this program to open this type of file " checkbox is checked. Hit OK.
image

That should do it. Windows will now use the new file association when opening the file you just worked with.
In win Vista
Go to Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocol with a program
image
After a brief wait for the extension list to load you'll see this screen:
image
Just select a file type you'd like to associate and click "Change Program" at the top.
image
From here, all you have to do is choose a program to use when opening a file. If that desired program is not in the list, you can always browse to its location.

0 comments |

Labels

Powered by Blogger.

I made these pages for me and my friends to help solving the problem we face regarding Computer & internet, if anyone wants me to answer a question or find out about some information please send me email and I will try to reply.*P.S. some of the article I wrote and the other I found on the internet I posted them in sprit of learning and shearing, please forgive me if you found something you don’t want to be in my blog, email me and I will delete them. Thank you for your interest in my pages.امل نجم Amal Nagm

banner 1 banner 2