How To Plant Onions

Author: mety Labels::


Prepare the site
Onions should be planted in sunny or partially shaded sites that are sheltered from the wind. Loosen the soil with a fork and remove any weeds or large stones. Use a rake to create a level surface. If you have poor soil you may want to add well-rotted organic matter before you start sowing. Use the head of the rake to lightly press down the soil and lightly rake the surface once more

Plant
Onions should be planted in shallow rows called 'drills'. Lay a piece of string on the soil as a guide to make sure you dig the row in a straight line. Lay a plank of wood next to your line. Then, use a cane or hoe to dig a narrow drill about 1 centimetre deep. Drop the seeds into the drills at the spacing recommended on the packet. If you are planting more than one drill, leave a 30 centimetre gap between each one. Using a hoe, gently cover the seeds with soil. Then using the head of the metal rake, lightly firm the soil.

Water
If the soil is dry, water the seeds in. The soil should be kept moist and free of weeds throughout the growing season. It is also useful to label your onions so you know where and when they were planted.

Protect
To protect your plants from late frosts in Spring, build a frame to cover the drills. Push the sides of the fabric into the soil, or fix it in place with canes. Remove the fleece when the seeds germinate and the plants are visible through the soil.

0 comments |

Labels

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

I made these pages for me and my friends to help solving the problem we face regarding Computer & internet, if anyone wants me to answer a question or find out about some information please send me email and I will try to reply.*P.S. some of the article I wrote and the other I found on the internet I posted them in sprit of learning and shearing, please forgive me if you found something you don’t want to be in my blog, email me and I will delete them. Thank you for your interest in my pages.امل نجم Amal Nagm

banner 1 banner 2