How To Plant Potatoes

Author: mety Labels::


Prepare the site
Potatoes should be planted in sunny sites in fertile, slightly acidic soil. For more information on soil types, see VideoJug's 'How To Test Soil pH'. Loosen the soil with a fork and remove any weeds or stones. If you have poor soil you may want to add organic matter or a multi-purpose fertiliser

Plant
Lay a piece of string on the soil as a guide so the potatoes are planted in a straight line. Position the potatoes along the string line at 40 centimetre (16 inch) intervals. Use a spade to dig individual holes for each potato at a depth of approximately 15 centimetres (6 inches). Place each potato in its hole with the end with the most eyes pointing upwards. If you want to plant more than one row, they should be positioned at least 50 centimetres (20 inches) apart

Cover
Gently sweep the soil over the tubers so they are covered. As the shoots emerge through the soil, they should be re-covered with soil so that only the tip is exposed. This will encourage more potatoes to develop beneath the surface

Leave to grow
Keep the soil moist throughout the growing period. The potatoes should be ready for harvesting in early to late Summer, depending on the variety of potato.

0 comments |

Labels

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

I made these pages for me and my friends to help solving the problem we face regarding Computer & internet, if anyone wants me to answer a question or find out about some information please send me email and I will try to reply.*P.S. some of the article I wrote and the other I found on the internet I posted them in sprit of learning and shearing, please forgive me if you found something you don’t want to be in my blog, email me and I will delete them. Thank you for your interest in my pages.امل نجم Amal Nagm

banner 1 banner 2