Footnotes and endnotes are used in printed documents to explain, comment on, or provide references for text in a document. You might use footnotes for detailed comments and endnotes for citation of sources.
A footnote or an endnote consists of two linked parts the note reference mark (note reference mark: A number, character, or combination of characters that indicates that additional information is contained in a footnote or endnote.) and the corresponding note text.
Insert a footnote or an endnote
- In Print Layout view (Print Layout view: A view of a document or other object as it will appear when you print it. For example, items such as headers, footnotes, columns, and text boxes appear in their actual positions.), click where you want to insert the note reference mark.
- On the References tab, in the Footnotes group, click Insert Footnote or Insert Endnote. Keyboard shortcut To insert a subsequent footnote, press CTRL+ALT+F. To insert a subsequent endnote, press CTRL+ALT+D.By default, Word places footnotes at the end of each page and endnotes at the end of the document.
- To make changes to the format of footnotes or endnotes, click the Footnotes Dialog Box Launcher, and do one of the following:
- In the Number format box, click the format that you want.
- To use a custom mark instead of a traditional number format, click Symbol next to Custom mark, and then choose a mark from the available symbols.
- Click Insert. Note This will not change the existing symbols. It will only add new ones.Word inserts the note number and places the insertion point next to the note number.
- Type the note text.
- Double-click the footnote or endnote number to return to the reference mark in the document.
Change the number format of footnotes or endnotes
- Place the insertion point in the section (section: A portion of a document in which you set certain page formatting options. You create a new section when you want to change such properties as line numbering, number of columns, or headers and footers.) in which you want to change the footnote or endnote format. If the document is not divided into sections, place the insertion point anywhere in the document.
- On the References tab, click the Footnote & Endnote Dialog Box Launcher.
- Click Footnotes or Endnotes.
- In the Number format box, click the option that you want.
- Click Apply.
Create a footnote or endnote continuation notice
- Make sure that you are in Draft view by clicking Draft next to View on the status bar.
- On the References tab, in the Footnotes group, click Show Notes.
- If your document contains both footnotes and endnotes, a message appears. Click View footnote area or View endnote area, and then click OK.
- In the note pane list, click Footnote Continuation Notice or Endnote Continuation Notice.
- In the note pane, type the text that you want to use for the continuation notice. For example, type Endnotes continued on the next page.
Delete a footnote or an endnote
Delete a note
- In the document, select the note reference mark of the footnote or endnote that you want to delete, and then press DELETE