Building blocks are items within a document that you save using the Quick Parts tool to be reused in other documents. For example, you might save your company's contact information or mission statement, a design for a report opening, a special list style that you use in your documents regularly, or a staff roster you include on finished publications.
Creating a Quick Part
- Select the content you want to save as a building block.
- Click the Insert tab and in the Text command set, click the down arrow next to Quick Parts. The menu shown in Figure 1 appears. Figure 1 The Quick Parts menu.Tip The content you select can include text, images, and special formats. Whatever you save as a building block will be placed in the new document as is, so lines, logos, hyperlinks, and more can be saved for reuse.
- Click Save Selection To Quick Part Gallery. The Create New Building Block dialog box appears, as shown in Figure 2. Figure 2 The Create New Building Block dialog box.
- Type a name for the Quick Part and click OK. This saves the new item in the Quick Parts gallery so that you can insert it in a document by selecting it from the Quick Parts menu. Now that you know how to create a Quick Part, using it is simple.
Adding Quick Parts to a document
- Open the document in which you want to add the Quick Part. Click to anchor the cursor at the point in the document where you want to add the item.
- Click the arrow next to Quick Parts. In addition to the options previously available, now you see a list of building blocks you have added to the list. (See Figure 3.) Figure 3 Available Quick Parts
- Click the part you want to insert at the cursor position.